Friday, April 12, 2013

TGIF

The combination of my inhaler, the mucinex, and the lovely heart condition I have that makes my heart rate 40 beats a minute too fast has me about to jump out of my skin.  I look like a chihuahua on crack about right now. 

Of course this isn't helping with me feeling bitchy either.  I said something about going to Sam's at lunch to get stuff for a lunch we are having at work Monday and someone asked me to pick some stuff up for them if I went.  I decided not to go.  So not in the mood to be a personal shopper and the whole, "I'll pay you back", nope.  Not in the mood.

Then the lady from my office that had lap band through the VA came over to talk to me.  She is probably 350 pounds and I was really proud of her for making the decision to have the surgery.  What is pissing me off, she hasn't even had the band a year and she is thinking about having it removed because it is too hard.  Really?  To top it off she has to fly to Jackson MS from Tulsa for every adjustment, at the tax payers expense.  She went to Jackson earlier this week and wouldn't let them adjust her because she has "too far to go".  Seriously?  Seriously!!  I have to pay $150 every time I get a fill, I don't have the option to take a two day expense paid trip for a check up every 6 weeks.  Not sure why this situation has me up in arms lately but it really does.  Probably doesn't help that I know she is one to play the system and go off all her medication before her screenings so she has a higher disability rating.  I hope she is proud of herself.

Oh, and my cousin works for the eye doctor I went to yesterday.  I talked to her for a long time about her grandparents, who raised my dad, and about how they are just giving up on life.  They have been married for 69 years 1 April and they are both declining so quickly it is hard for even them to keep up with what is changing.  My uncle was always the kind of man who would climb and trim trees well into his 70's.  Now that their health is bad their grandson moved in to help them.  Well, grandson weighs over 500 pounds and is literally killing himself with food.  He is 32 and the doctor said that they don't expect him to live 5 more years.  He has chronic breathing conditions and can't even walk from the house to the car, oh, and he smokes.  Next week he is going to go before some disability board to see if they will pay for gastric bypass because it will make it so much easier for him.  Me and my cousin were going off about this, we have both battled our weight all our lives and to hear this just makes us sick.

Do people think they go in for surgery one day and the next day they come out with the energy and metabolism of a healthy 20 year old?  I just don't get it.  Before I had my surgery I researched the eff out of it.  I could have told you the possible side effects and the chances of failure (which I just knew I would be one of).  I wish it was as easy as handing over a check for $10,000, or getting on an airplane to Jackson, or go before a board, and like magic you never have a weight problem again.  It's called reality folks and people are really starting to work the nerves. 

OK, sorry for the rant.  My mind is all over the place and I just wanted to get this out.  Sorry if I offend anyone.

4 comments:

  1. holy cow...that is insane the obese people around you and their thought on WLS..so sad..they are just killing themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my aides just got banded in February. Completely paid for (her husband is retired military). She has already had more fills/unfills than I have had in a year and a half. I really think she thought the band was going to going to do all the work for her...even though I tried my best to tell her that she was going to have to work very hard WITH the band. She also did NO research or read a thing other than what her doctor gave her. Crazy, just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish people would actually pay attention to what they read and are told before they have wls, she is not doing herself any favours and with that attitude I can understand your frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, the people that think this is a miricle cure make me crazy. There is nothing easy about this. Don't let them bring you down. I know its frustrating!

    ReplyDelete