I decided to skip the 5K on Saturday. There were so many people there and I had a lot of stuff that needed to get done since I wasn't able to do anything Thursday as planned. Most of my friends PRed on the race Saturday so I am a little upset that I didn't try but I think I made the right choice.
The 3 hour (or 6 hour) snake run was Sunday and I decided to focus on that. I am sure I have explained this before but in case you missed it, this is a trail run but instead of setting the distance, you sign up for either 3 or 6 hours and you run as far as you can in that time limit. The trail is an out and back that is 4.2 miles. There is also a .25 mile trail that you can run around if you don't have enough time to do the entire big loop before the time limit you can get extra miles in on the small loop.
The race itself was fun. I learned a lot about trail running.
1. Despite what you learn in road running, don't look up.
2 Without looking up you have to also look for other runners, tree limbs, and other various obstacles and trail markers.
3. Rocks, roots, tree limbs, water crossings SUCK
4. It is not easy to get 400 runners on a path that will only accomadate one person at a time.
5. Picking your feet up is not an option. Shuffling doesn't work too well.
But, I really did have a great time. I was initiated into the trail running club by taking a spill on my last loop. I have a nasty bruise and knot on my knee. I am so proud. There were a few guys that witnessed it and came to help me but jumped up and yelled "I'm officially a trail runner now!!"
HMF was at the trail run doing the 6 hour run. Of course I saw her several times. I stopped to talk to her at a wide spot in the trail. It was all about her, and even though she knew I was sent to the ER Thursday morning, she never asked how I was feeling or anything. It shouldn't surprise me I guess.
I ended up doing about 9 miles in 2 hours and 45 minutes. I could have done another little loop or two but I was tired and starving. So I turned in my chip, got my medal and met Dennis for lunch. I ate almost all of my chicken nachos with no regrets. They were so freaking good.
The first picture is my battle wound and the medal. The second picture is at the aid station right after I fell. The last picture is this morning. It is getting more impressive as time goes on!!
I think I would do another trial run, as long as it is easy trails. I enjoyed it and it is a nice change. I also forget how nice runner are. Everyone is so supportive no matter if you are in the fast group or the slow group.
This weekend is the 10K. After that I should have a break for a few weeks. My next big run will be Joplin half in May.






good for you---so rugged! that girl is a beotch! and great souvenir from the trail(love the medal too)
ReplyDeleteThat is so neat! This weekend while we were hiking all I could think was "I WANT TO RUN THIS TRAIL!" I'm so jealous hearing about this and seeing your medal!!!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a great time!! So glad you had fun!!
ReplyDeleteI'm just getting back into my running after a long hiatus - the longest I've run for is 22 minutes in one go, but I am so inspired by all your running that I know I won't give up until I can call myself a runner! That bruise looks so painful!! x
ReplyDeleteHow are you feeling? Did the stone pass yet?
ReplyDeleteThat is a nasty bruise! Wow.
I love to hear about your runs.
Good for you on your run! Ouch on your knee. that looks like it hurts! Glad you are doing ok!
ReplyDelete