Friday, March 1, 2013

One day at a time

Actually I am kind of taking it one hour at a time.  I seriously have a post it note on my desk with the title "shit food tally" written across it.  Every hour I make it without putting crap in my mouth is a huge win.  So far so good.  I totally need to buy gold stars at lunch.

I did go for that run last night.  It went a lot better than I thought it would.  It wasn't cold per say but it was windy and the wind was a bitch.  I put my face mask on (most of the neighbors probably thought they were going to be invaded) and a layer of icebreaker and headed out.  I did the first 1.25 miles non-stop in under 12.  There are some pretty nasty hills so I walked those playing some mind games (run to the red truck loser, anyone can do that...then you can walk (maybe I need to come up with some positive run mantras, lol)).  At any rate, it worked.  I had so much frustration and anger to work through that I thought I had worn myself out after the first part of the run but I pushed on and got 3 miles in.  Tomorrow the run group is doing 5 and I kind of want to join them but then again I could sleep in and run Sunday when it is supposed to be in the 60's.  Sometimes it is best to just get it over with.

Dennis worked late last night so I took the time and contacted a friend of mine that lived in my dorm in college.  She is a dietician and I wanted to get her take on my roller coaster ride.  I explained to her that very few people know about my lap band but I feel that I need some help and thought she might be able to steer me in the right direction.

Her advice to me was to journal, write down what I am feeling before I stick crap in my mouth.  I need to see if there is an app for that.  Carbs are the go to when we are feeling overwhelmed because of the serotonin, dopamine, and tryptophan.  This is also why people who diet and restrict get depressed and have sleep issues.  She suggested I google Evelyn Tribole's hunger fullness scale to see if it will help me out.  I haven't done that yet but it is on my to do list. She also told me that I am active and healthy and need to lay off the self flagellation.  Funny enough, she is a government contractor so if we are fucked over by the sequestration crap we will be able to meet up on our forced day off and go over everything.

I also called my old personal trainer.  I really liked her and was very upset when she left my gym.  She is still training but on a very limited basis.  She told me awhile back that she would train me for $35 and hour but I would probably only need once a week since I am pretty active on my own.  I thought this would be a great accountability tool and help with my belly flab.  Unfortunately she doesn't have any time slots open that will work with me.

So guy and gals looks like I am in this on my own.  I can do this.  I have Dennis who is awesome at telling me to go run before I kill someone.  This weekend we will have a sit down and I will tell him what I need from him as far as not bringing crap into my house.  I am sure that will help and also make me think twice before I bring it in since I told him that he couldn't do it.  Hopefully it doesn't make me binge in my car.  Yeah, I just went there.

After my run yesterday I signed up for several races.  I have the St. Pattys Day 5K on the 16th, Snake run (the 3 hour option) on the 17th; as long as it isn't muddy, Race for the Well 10K on the 23rd and Run Tulsa Pink in April sometime.  Just because I am not going to have 15 half marathons in the next few months doesn't mean that I can't go out and run in a group and have fun.  Who knows, it might just make me faster.

As far as the day in work goes.  I have seriously not talked to a single person I directly work with today.  Might be a great Friday!! 

5 comments:

  1. My hubby works for a large defense contract company and they sent him an email today on sequestration----it said to keep calm and Carry on? what kind of motivation is that? Emotional eating is such a bug to trap and figure out..good luck chippee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure sounds like you are trying to do all the right things to keep your eating on track.
    PS- I love McNuggets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, great to hear you're back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I can never do those positive mantras. I always do the "run to the lightpole" type stuff...at the end of Ragnar I was drill sergeanting myself "YOU HAVE HAD THREE KIDS! YOU DID CHILDBIRTH! YOU CAN RUN THREE FREAKING MILES ON A HURT KNEE! JUST DOOOOO ITTTTT!" You and I are birds of a feather. :)

    ReplyDelete