Friday, March 15, 2013

Just when you think you are at your limit

Let me tell ya, it has been an interesting week. Best laid plans and all.

Wednesday I had a really good run with co-worker Kim.  My fastest unofficial 5K ever at 37:37!!  I almost ran the entire thing with splits under 12.  I just ran out of steam the last quarter mile.  It was hot and did I mention that Kim is 13 years younger and 5 inches taller than me?  Not sure what I was thinking when we started running together.  After the run I was sure that I would do the run on Saturday in record time.

Later that night my back was getting a little achy.  I attributed that to the run and didn't think much about it.

Thursday morning at 3am I woke up with what I thought was a catch in my side.  I went to the living room to lay in my chair and see if I could get it worked out.  It only got worse.  I woke Dennis up and told him that I was pretty sure I needed to go to the ER.  He told me that he thought I should wait a little longer and see if it went away.  I waited about 30 minutes then started to get dressed.  I woke him up and told him either he was taking me to the ER or I was driving on my own.  At that point I was positive my appendix had burst because the pain was so freaking bad.  It was like nothing I had ever felt before.

I couldn't sit still on the car ride and Dennis almost had to carry me in, I was in so much pain.  I love how they always want you to fill out paperwork when you are doubled over in agony.  They put me in a room and had me hooked up to monitors to take my vitals, the guy was getting the IV stared when the doctor came in and told them to give me a morphine shot in my IV before they had even finished the work-up.  The doctor did a quick exam and told us that he was 99.9% sure that it was a kidney stone.  Let me just say that morphine is amazing.  Within 5 minutes the pain was either gone or I was, I didn't care either way.  Awesome stuff.  I don't remember anything after the shot except trying to text message my boss and not being able to see the screen on my phone.

The radiology guy came in and took me to have a CT.  I have no idea what happened, I was stoned out of my mind.  I know Dennis tried to go with me but they wouldn't let him.  The doctor confirmed that there was a stone and it had already moved to my bladder so the worse was over.  Dennis said that I was starting to feel some pain as they were getting ready to dismiss me and I demanded another shot before I would leave.  They gave me something that was a little longer lasting on top of the other happy drug I had gotten.

Dennis wanted to know if I wanted him to take off work but I told him no I would probably just sleep.  He got me tucked in and left for work.  I slept until 9.  I felt drunk until about 5 yesterday evening.  I had a script I needed filled and the two doctor's appointments that I was supposed to go to yesterday.  Dennis took my car keys because he was afraid that in my drunken haze I would get the crazy idea that I could go to my appointments. I was a good girl and called an cancelled.

So, no band doctor or eye doctor yesterday.  I called and cancelled my hair appointment for this evening too. 

Now I have to decide if I want to do the 5K tomorrow.  I felt great this morning, but as the day goes on I am starting to feel a little run down and like I did a hard core workout last night.  I am not expecting any PR's if I do run.  I probably won't make up my mind until I wake up tomorrow.

Needless to say I got smiley faces for not eating junk....well at least that I remember. 


7 comments:

  1. I have had kidney stones twice....not fun. The one I had this past summer drug on for over a week. I felt like I was dying. Once you have the first one, you most likely will get another one at some point. The good news is at least you know what's going on since you have felt that crazy pain before. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so sorry you went through that after having such a rough time recently with other things! Hope you are feeling well enough to run tomorrow, just because it would mean you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch ouch ouch. I had kidney stones in 1989, and remember it like it was yesterday. Worst.Pain.Ever. So sorry to hear you had to go through this. Speedy recovery to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (hug) Maybe you should consider taking it easy and NOT running???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness!!! I hope you are feeling better ASAP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morphine rules! I had it when I had my baby....I think I even asked to take a bit home==lol! Sorry to hear about the stone..that sounds VERY painful!

    ReplyDelete