I took my Dexter to the vet like I had planned but things didn't go like I expected. Yeah we knew he had lost a lot of weight but I thought we would get a diagnosis of diabetes or something, give him a pill or a shot and move on. I knew things weren't going to go well when we weighed him. He was 39 pounds. 7 weeks ago he was 51. The vet saw him and was just kind of taken aback. They did the blood work and the doctor said that Dex was anemic for sure because he was pale and his gums were bluish. Sure enough his counts were very low. Based on that and some of the red/white blood cells she said that she was pretty sure it was cancer, more specifically leukemia. I heard her but it didn't really hit me that she was telling me my dog has cancer. When it did hit me I had just a little bit of a meltdown. I called Dennis and he headed straight to the vet from work.
Our options were to take Dexter to OSU vet college for diagnostic testing. The best we could expect would be to walk out with a $2500 diagnosis and no guaranteed treatment plan. The other option was to take him immediately for a blood transfusion; which is like putting a bandaid on a gun shot wound. Chemo would probably be the preferred method of treatment but Dexter is on two different anxiety medication to get through a regular day. Chemo is not a good option for him, he would be so miserable. They could only say that it might add weeks maybe months to his life.
So we loaded him up and took him home to let him live out his remaining days. The vet said maybe 2 weeks.
I have cried pretty much non-stop since the c-word was mentioned. Just when I think I am all cried out a new wave of tears come. The next few weeks are gong to be so very hard. Everyone keeps telling me that I should feel good for rescuing him and giving him a great life and about how happy he is but that doesn't break my heart any less.
For now we are feeding him like crazy....he lost 12 pounds in 7 weeks, to see if we can at least keep his weight up. The vet gave us signs to look for to tell us when it is time for him to go. This is all just too much for me. I love this little guy like he was my special needs son and it is tearing me apart that I can't help him.
Please pray that he lives out the rest of his days happy and that I am able to push away the tears and enjoy him in the days that he has left.
Our options were to take Dexter to OSU vet college for diagnostic testing. The best we could expect would be to walk out with a $2500 diagnosis and no guaranteed treatment plan. The other option was to take him immediately for a blood transfusion; which is like putting a bandaid on a gun shot wound. Chemo would probably be the preferred method of treatment but Dexter is on two different anxiety medication to get through a regular day. Chemo is not a good option for him, he would be so miserable. They could only say that it might add weeks maybe months to his life.
So we loaded him up and took him home to let him live out his remaining days. The vet said maybe 2 weeks.
I have cried pretty much non-stop since the c-word was mentioned. Just when I think I am all cried out a new wave of tears come. The next few weeks are gong to be so very hard. Everyone keeps telling me that I should feel good for rescuing him and giving him a great life and about how happy he is but that doesn't break my heart any less.
For now we are feeding him like crazy....he lost 12 pounds in 7 weeks, to see if we can at least keep his weight up. The vet gave us signs to look for to tell us when it is time for him to go. This is all just too much for me. I love this little guy like he was my special needs son and it is tearing me apart that I can't help him.
Please pray that he lives out the rest of his days happy and that I am able to push away the tears and enjoy him in the days that he has left.


My sister recently lost her dog to cancer. It has been very rough for her and her husband as she was a big part of their family. Thoughts and prayers with you. - H
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry. I have three dogs myself, and my heart hurts to read this. Love him to pieces and know that you're doing the best for him.
ReplyDeleteIm so sorry to read this. I pray that he is happy and that you enjoy his final days with him.
ReplyDeleteOh no Terrie, I am so, so sorry to hear this. I know you'll take good care of him through his final days, but I know this has got to be so rough on you.
ReplyDeleteI know how ridiculously attached we get to our pets, and I still have trouble coping with the loss of my last dog, so I know how you feel. It is very hard, and I hope he won't suffer much. I know you will! I hope Dennis and the other dogs can help you through it. (((Hugs.)))
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh I am so sorry. I am crying reading this so I can't imagine what you are going through. (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry, Terrie! ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteSo so sorry about Dexter, thinking of you xxx
ReplyDeleteI am just reading this Terrie...and I am so sorry...that has to be so difficult to live thru. Big (((hugs))) from AZ!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am a bit behind on my reading..... I am so sorry. I am actually crying right now because I know too well how you feel.
ReplyDelete