I will attempt to do this TTT style, not sure if I have that many things to talk about....
1. I am trying really hard to get my eating under control. It is so hard to do without any fill in my band and the emotional roller coaster that my life has been.
2. I get to see Dr. A June 3 to get re-filled, thank god. I am seriously glad I didn't get rid of all my size 4's because the size 2 stuff ain't so comfortable right now.
3. I am getting tired of people on the national news acting like people from Oklahoma are idiots because we don't all have basements or safe rooms. Like we don't have sense to come in out of the rain. Safe rooms are not cheap and trying to retrofit one to an older house is a nightmare. The chances of getting hit by a tornado is not much more than the chances of being struck by lightening (unless you live in Moore, OK) and to pay 6K for something you may never have to use is out of the budget for most of us. As far as basements go, the water table in OK is very high and we have clay soil. The combination causes foundations to crack and if you have a basement it will eventually leak. Nothing like having an inch of water in the basement. Sorry I didn't mean to go off.
4. I spent all day Tuesday calling around looking for office space to house an emergency operations center in case we get deployed. There are a lot of generous people out there that are willing to let emergency centers use space for no or very low cost. Right now the state is doing most of the recovery services (because of our stupid state senators who continuously vote to reduce FEMA funding even though OK is like 3rd in the nation for disasters that qualify...again, sorry). I hope they do ask us to help out so I can get the opportunity to do something. Not to mention we could probably do the work cheaper and more efficiently since we do this all the time.
5. I finally got a tooth!! I can't stand it. I got used to having a screw in my gums and a hole there. The tooth is big and bulky and just feels really strange. It will take some getting used to.
6. I am leaving Monday for Galveston to work. We are going to be working 12 hour days. I love Galveston but it doesn't sound like I will be able to enjoy it much. I am kind of irritated that I have to travel on the holiday, even though we aren't leaving until 6pm. I will be home on Friday at midnight. For some reason I am not looking forward so much to Memorial Day or the trip to Galveston. It will be good for me to get away.
7. I still miss Dexter so much. I cry everyday when I go home from work and he isn't there to bark at me, and he passed away shortly after I got home from work. Being gone next week will help.
8. On that same note I haven't been sleeping well without my little cuddle buddy. Last night I made Foster cuddle with me. She isn't nearly as good at it as Dexter was but it did help. I will have to break her in a little.
9. I need to start running like a week ago but I just have no energy or ambition right now. Next week isn't going to be any better working long days. Normally I look forward to running on the seawall. Maybe I will be re-energized when I get there, despite the long hours.
10. I am going to make a pledge now that I will not longer stop at QT and get a chocolate donut and a root beer for breakfast!! I have done this every day since Dex died. I know eating something like that for breakfast is wrecking havoc on my blood sugar but I am having a hard time giving a crap right now. But, I am not going to do that starting now. I will start the day off healthy and that will make it easier to eat healthy the rest of the day. Starting with crap just kind of puts me in a fuck it kind of mood the rest of the day.
1. I am trying really hard to get my eating under control. It is so hard to do without any fill in my band and the emotional roller coaster that my life has been.
2. I get to see Dr. A June 3 to get re-filled, thank god. I am seriously glad I didn't get rid of all my size 4's because the size 2 stuff ain't so comfortable right now.
3. I am getting tired of people on the national news acting like people from Oklahoma are idiots because we don't all have basements or safe rooms. Like we don't have sense to come in out of the rain. Safe rooms are not cheap and trying to retrofit one to an older house is a nightmare. The chances of getting hit by a tornado is not much more than the chances of being struck by lightening (unless you live in Moore, OK) and to pay 6K for something you may never have to use is out of the budget for most of us. As far as basements go, the water table in OK is very high and we have clay soil. The combination causes foundations to crack and if you have a basement it will eventually leak. Nothing like having an inch of water in the basement. Sorry I didn't mean to go off.
4. I spent all day Tuesday calling around looking for office space to house an emergency operations center in case we get deployed. There are a lot of generous people out there that are willing to let emergency centers use space for no or very low cost. Right now the state is doing most of the recovery services (because of our stupid state senators who continuously vote to reduce FEMA funding even though OK is like 3rd in the nation for disasters that qualify...again, sorry). I hope they do ask us to help out so I can get the opportunity to do something. Not to mention we could probably do the work cheaper and more efficiently since we do this all the time.
5. I finally got a tooth!! I can't stand it. I got used to having a screw in my gums and a hole there. The tooth is big and bulky and just feels really strange. It will take some getting used to.
6. I am leaving Monday for Galveston to work. We are going to be working 12 hour days. I love Galveston but it doesn't sound like I will be able to enjoy it much. I am kind of irritated that I have to travel on the holiday, even though we aren't leaving until 6pm. I will be home on Friday at midnight. For some reason I am not looking forward so much to Memorial Day or the trip to Galveston. It will be good for me to get away.
7. I still miss Dexter so much. I cry everyday when I go home from work and he isn't there to bark at me, and he passed away shortly after I got home from work. Being gone next week will help.
8. On that same note I haven't been sleeping well without my little cuddle buddy. Last night I made Foster cuddle with me. She isn't nearly as good at it as Dexter was but it did help. I will have to break her in a little.
9. I need to start running like a week ago but I just have no energy or ambition right now. Next week isn't going to be any better working long days. Normally I look forward to running on the seawall. Maybe I will be re-energized when I get there, despite the long hours.
10. I am going to make a pledge now that I will not longer stop at QT and get a chocolate donut and a root beer for breakfast!! I have done this every day since Dex died. I know eating something like that for breakfast is wrecking havoc on my blood sugar but I am having a hard time giving a crap right now. But, I am not going to do that starting now. I will start the day off healthy and that will make it easier to eat healthy the rest of the day. Starting with crap just kind of puts me in a fuck it kind of mood the rest of the day.


Glad to see you posting, Terrie. I hope this trip helps reset you and get you feeling more in control of everything. Thinking of you so much!
ReplyDeleteGlad you'll be able to get away for a bit. I hope it helps! I think a part of why the news covers the point that so many didn't have basements is for at least myself living outside of that area, I assumed that everyone in "Tornado Alley" had basements. Most of the news accounts I've listened to went on to explain the high water table and clay soil. I wish all news organizations would do this, but I know so many of them rely on sensationalism. I also heard on Morning Edition this morning, unless you're in Moore, OK (and they mentioned it was a statistical anomaly) chances of anyone living in that area being killed by a tornado is something like 1 in 200,000. It sounded to me like they were also trying to drive home the fact that this was the strongest tornado and even a shelter wouldn't have been able to withstand those wind speeds.
ReplyDeletetake time to greive. It's natural- it will get easier as time goes by but the love you have for Dex will never fade.
ReplyDeleteI speak from recent expereince- we had to put my Cookie monster down last month and yes it still hurts but I know that she is no longer in pain and is waiting for me at the Rainbow bridge.
Hope you have a great weekend before having to head off for your crazy week in Galveston.
ReplyDeleteI saw some comments on one news story asking why don't people "just move." Um ... it's not that easy for most people to uproot their whole lives--house, job, family, whatever they have--just because there's an occasional remote chance of extreme weather that is less than their chance of being in a car accident on any given day.
Congrats on the tooth!
And, as always, still sorry about Dexter. :(
Congrats on the new tooth. Every princess deserves a crown. :-)
ReplyDeleteIt will take time to heal from Dexter's passing. Don't be hard on yourself.
Safe travels on your journey. I just know you will do good work.