Tuesday, May 1, 2012

OKC half marathon in the books

2012 Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon is in the books!!








First the trip report

The OKC Thunder made the playoffs and the first game was Saturday night. They had some of the roads downtown closed off for the media trucks so we wanted to get there before traffic became a huge issue. I got in and picked up my race stuff and a few things I just couldn't live without (haha) and we were heading out to eat lunch by 1. It was starting to get crowded.

After lunch we checked into our skanky hotel. After staying at the Westin in Austin it was worse then camping out. It could have been worse I guess; it wasn't the worst hotel I have ever stayed at, that is for sure, but not my first choice. We freshened up and went to the outlet mall. I wasn't in the mood to try anything on so I wasn't 100% in the shopping spirit. I did buy a new purse and matching wallet at Coach, and a pair of khaki's at Banana Republic for $9.97, way too good to pass up. We decided we would rather find a place close to the outlet to eat instead of close to the hotel (race start) because it would take forever. It was a little early so we putzed around a little and then went to eat. We got back to the hotel around 7:30, I made sure I had everything I needed and went to bed (a sleeping bag on top of the bed )  While we were putzing I found a place to have my bangs braided so I wouldn't have to deal with a sweaty band.  I love it, I had my stylist redo it yesterday when I had my hair cut/colored.  I think I am going to do this before every race!



I had my alarm set for 4:45, the race started at 6:30. Since Sandra wasn't running I tried to be quiet but again, this wasn't the Westin and you could hear everyone else running around getting ready. I got dressed and ready to go and caught the shuttle out at 5:30. It was kind of strange being by myself at the start, I am usually with at least one other person at the start. It was kind of good to just not have to talk and be able to get in my groove. They have 168 minutes of silence, then the national anthem. I never heard the gun go off. It took me 10 minutes to cross the start.

I knew starting out that my knee was going to give me trouble. I just ignored it the best I could. By about mile 5 there was no ignoring it. I felt like someone was trying to pry my knee cap off with a crowbar. It was worse if I tried to walk/run so I decided I was just going to have to run slow. The first few steps were very painful but it kind of went numb after that. Granted, I wasn't moving very fast but I didn't want to walk the rest of the course and have another horrible finish.

Around mile 8, where the half and full marathon splits, Sandra was there with her cowbell. I started to cry and told her I can't do it anymore, my knee just hurt way too bad. Did I mention it was pouring rain at this point? She said something to the effect of SUCK IT UP YA BIG BABY, that I would never forgive her or myself if she let me quit with only 5 miles to go. I was pissed but I remembered the story of the lady that was trapped under debris in the Murrah building who had to have her leg amputated with no anesthesia. If she could live through that I could live through a little knee pain. Luckily there was a medical tent close by, they gave me some tylenol and put some biofreeze on my knee. 2 minutes off my time that was well worth the stop.

I am not sure when the pain died down but it did and I was able to speed up a little and try to make up some time.

Mile 11 sucked. Most of the run I looked at my Garmin and thought, wow already at 6.65, or whatever but it was almost like I ran mile 11 backwards. I couldn't figure out why that was such a tough spot for me until my friend asked me after the race if that was the mile the guy in Little Rock died. Sure enough it was. I wonder if I will always have the mile 11 curse

Anyway, I was feeling better. Got through mile 11 and felt if not great, good enough to finish strong. I made a friend the last mile and we ran in together, which is always nice. We were trying to sing Going the Distance from Cake from memory. That was fun. Before we knew it we had turned the corner and was about 5 blocks from the finish. Being the good newly formed friend that he was, my duet parter took off like lightening and left me in his dust. I approached the finish line with a huge smile on my face and running strong with a finish of 3:15. Not great, but a finish is a finish and I am not ashamed of my finish time. I finished having fun, which is the key.  My medal is so tiny compared to Little Rock and Austin!!



I was so tired when I got home I fell asleep with ice on my knee.  I slept at lease 2 hours, Dennis left to go eat with his family for his mom's birthday at my favorite mexican place, but even that couldn't get me out of my chair. 

Went to the sports med doctor yesterday. I think I heard his eyes roll when I told him I had ran a half marathon the day before. He is waiting for insurance to approve the Synvisc injections. He said on a scale from 1-4 my knee is at a 3. The injections should work for awhile but eventually I will be at a 4 and will need a partial knee replacement. I think he was just trying to scare me.

One more half marathon to go March 19, it will be another hilly one

I still haven't found my make-up.  I have given up and started to buy new good stuff on piece at a time.  I think the B-12 shot helped, I don't feel like I losing my mind as much.  I am going to get another one this week



3 comments:

  1. Wow- I am so proud of you. What does the doctor say is wrong with your knee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a total Rockstar!!! Love the bangs!

    ReplyDelete