It is an exciting weekend in T-Town, time for the Tulsa Tough bike races. Pretty much the only thing about summer that I look forward to. Imagine a thousand professional bicycle riders from all over the world walking around in bike shorts. I won't go into the one rider from Team Jelly Belly that came up to me last night and asked me a question in his Aussie accent. I think I might quit my job and be a full time groupie....swoon.
But I digress, One of my friends is heavily into the volunteer aspect of the event. I promised her I would help her out so I spent a good part of my evening handing out ride packets. This friend, I will call C has trained in "my" running group for a long time and has done several half marathons. Like me she is very slow; she is also a bigger girl. She wants me to do a half marathon in Memphis with her in December and she asked me if I had been training. I opened up to her and told her that I had been walking but haven't been running because I was being banded on June 30. I thought she was going to flip her lid. It turns out her roommate was banded in 2008 and has had a horrible experience. She made me promise I would talk to the roommate before I had the surgery. I told her that was fine because I really want to hear both sides; most of the people I have seen/read about have had a very positive experience overall.
In the course of the conversation it came out that the roommate is not following any kind of a diet or exercise program and pretty much eats nothing but chocolate "because it is all that will go down" This girl is also losing her hair. DUH!!! I told her that I call BS. If she can eat chocolate she can drink a protein shake or eat some sort of protein. It is her own fault her experience is so horrible. According to C all of roommates restriction has been removed and she still can't even get water down first thing in the morning. I asked if she had been back to the doctor because something is obviously wrong, of course she hadn't.
I am pretty sure C decided she hadn't dissuaded me from the procedure so she asked me if I was prepared to only eat 5 bites of something for the rest of my life and I can honestly say that if that is what it takes, yes I am. C said that she just couldn't imagine living the rest of her life like that and would rather be heavy. I told her it is obvious that this wasn't for everyone and I am prepared to eat small healthy meals the rest of my life if it means that I will finally be able to be at a healthy weight.
Interesting night.


No comments:
Post a Comment