So I used some AA points and upgraded my seat to first class. Started off the day with a mimosa. We got to NYC early, about 11 am so our room wasn't ready. We were able to drop our bags and go in search of lunch. We knew gymnastics was that day so we looked in the car and found a few watch party locations. We stayed about a block from Rockefeller Center so we started there and got there just in time to see Simone Biles do her second vault. We got a table at a restaurant there where we could see the screen and watched the competition. It was an incredible way to watch. Our first official stop was at the Roosevelt Island Tramway. It was neat. I had no idea it was a thing until a few months ago. It was so stupid hot and I hadn't gotten to unpack anything so we stopped at a drugstore and got sunscreen so as not to pull a Jay. This was pre-subway so we walked MILES.
We got back to the hotel, changed shoes and decided to split an app and a margarita at Hard Rock, get A a t-shirt. I do like HR nachos and I am kind of afraid to admit that in public. The final stop for the day was Top of the Rock. I liked it so much better than Empire State. I told HMF that I was game for anything so she bought us tickets to the beam. I am pretty afraid of heights but I was pretty proud of myself for not freaking out too bad. I really didn't think it was going to be a big deal until the beam rose up and you could see over the plexiglass, well I assume you could if your eyes were open. Glad I did it, won't do it again. We had a busy day so we went back to the hotel, I took a quick shower and fell asleep with my glasses on.
 |
| started out the day with a mimosa |
 |
| Olympic watch party at Rockefeller Center |
 |
| The best caprese panini |
 |
| obligatory Hard Rock trip |
 |
| HMF at Top of the Rock |
 |
| We saw the same sunset |
 |
| When HMF bought 'the beam' experience tickets I had no idea what it was |
 |
| I had bruises on my legs from the death grip |
 |
| I told her the next time the hammer wasn't going to be a prop |
 |
| I loved this sweatshirt so much we had to make a special trip back |
Day 2 was probably one of the best days. We decided we were going to figure out the subway. HMF travels to Chicago a lot and uses the one there. I have only been my myself and it doesn't have the same rep as NYC's system so I have skipped it. We figured what a better place to start than Grand Central Station. We actually made our way to SoHo with zero issues and it opened up a whole 'nother love for the city. HMF wanted to go to the Converse flagship store. You can design your own shoes so we spent a few hours designing them but they would have to be shipped. From there we went to my happy place, the Fluevog store. When I walked in the fluevologist (the official term) asked me what I was looking for. I told her I was there to play Cinderella and she 100% understood the assignment. I think she brought out every shoe in my size. I had the time of my life. HMF even found a pair she ordered. I could feel her start to suck the energy out of the room about half way through the excursion and so I wrapped it up, bought 2 pair and a bucket hat and we went to Little Italy to grab a quick slice of pizza. She made the comment that they just didn't seem too interested in helping her. I admittedly was a little self absorbed but I didn't see it. Plus they look up my name and they see ALL THE SHOES. I am an easy mark.
 |
| first subway trip originating from GCS |
 |
| figuring out where to start is always the hardest part |
 |
| Design your own Converse in SOHO |
 |
My happy place
|
We headed back to the hotel but we still had a little time before our dinner reservations so we decided to hit up Saks Fifth Avenue. I went in with no intentions of trying anything on, let alone buying. HMF talked me into trying on ↓ this dress. I felt like a princess. I spent way too much on a dress I will probably never wear. The clerk got the few things I wanted to try on and put them in a room with my name. HMF found a few items to try on and got but hurt because the associate asked if it was ok if she just put her stuff in the room next to mine. I guess she was supposed to get her 411 too? I told her she was taking it way too personally and not to act like our moms (harsh I know) and she snapped out of it. Not without a final dig when the associate said that she just loved my energy and she thought I would be a blast to hang out with (I'm a goddamn delight), she had to make sure she was only saying that because I was spending money. Whatever man, I know I know I'm cool.
 |
princess dress and new Vogs please ignore the hat hair
|
Quick shower for me, can't remember Patti's phrase SFP? And off to dinner. We just happened to be there for restaurant week and we got amazing food. HMF got a chicken and potato dish that I thought she was going to make little potato babies with.
 |
| Taking another new pair to see the show |
 |
| Pre show dinner |
 |
| You know your from Tulsa when you can smell this picture |
We got there a little early and had to stand in line to get in. The show was everything I had hoped it would be. I was a little disappointed that one of the leads that was nominated for a Tony wasn't in but the understudy was still amazing. Am I thinking about going back next month in conjunction with a work trip? maybe.
 |
| Finally made it |
 |
| I can hardly believe it |
 |
| at the stage |
 |
| playbill pic |
 |
| Brody Grant walking down the isle to his place on the tire pre-show |
 |
| He sits on the tire for about 10 minutes writing in his book |
 |
The final scene is at the dinner table and those hungry boys chow down
|
Sorry for all the pictures. It was an amazing couple of days. I started crying about 3 songs in to the second act. I spared you the post show cry make-up.
After the show we went back to Times Square to make the one pound custom peanut butter cup. It was a long day so we went back to the hotel where the fire alarm managed to malfunction until after midnight. At that point I told HMF to just let me die.
Days 3 and 4 and the unplanned day 5 were not as picture perfect. More on that in the next recap.
On to the present day crap. I still haven't seen D. We have texted and talked on the phone once but that's it. He sent me a text this morning that he was at his doctor's office. I guess that is a little progress. I am going to the office tomorrow so I will text him and tell him if he wants to come by and see the kids it would be a good time. I am still not sure how I feel about the situation but if he is willing to try so am. Baby steps, I guess.
"I'm a goddamn delight" 🤣 You and me both, sister! 🤣
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love Top of the Rock. I've never done the Empire State Building visit because, why? The whole being outside thing on TotR wins hands down. Plus the views. The beam thing was on offer when we were there last. That said, I wouldn't have done it, nope. 86 floors is high enough TYVM.
I also like Hard Rock and have hit them in Madrid, Paris, and Berlin. Oh and Cologne. Oh and Davos, Switzerland. I kinda now wish I would've gotten shirts just for the hell of it. There used to be a HR in Frankfurt but it closed and is now an Irish pub. I go for the food as they have 'merican cuisine that reminds me of 'merica.
I do NOT have a poker face, which is why I don't play poker. If I'm happy you'll know it. If I'm pissed off you'll know it. I do have resting bitch face though but that wipes off if I recognise or talk to someone. I don't think we should hide our emotions as much as simply recognise that we are feeling a certain way and decide whether we need to react or not. It's the knee jerk reacting solely out of emotion that is a problem.
Hope you and D. work out whatever is best for both of y'all. Just know that he isn't going to change because you want him too and you shouldn't change because he wants you too. Change has to come from within. All we can do is accept others for who and how they are and decide what that means to us. Five cents please!
The beam thing was NOT on offer ... brain moves faster than fingers.
ReplyDelete"I'm a goddamn delight" 🤣 You and me both, sister! 🤣
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love Top of the Rock. I've never done the Empire State Building visit because, why? The whole being outside thing on TotR wins hands down. Plus the views. The beam thing was not on offer when we were there last. That said, I wouldn't have done it, nope. 86 floors is high enough TYVM.
I also like Hard Rock and have hit them in Madrid, Paris, and Berlin. Oh and Cologne. Oh and Davos, Switzerland. I kinda now wish I would've gotten shirts just for the hell of it. There used to be a HR in Frankfurt but it closed and is now an Irish pub. I go for the food as they have 'merican cuisine that reminds me of 'merica.
I do NOT have a poker face, which is why I don't play poker. If I'm happy you'll know it. If I'm pissed off you'll know it. I do have resting bitch face though but that wipes off if I recognise or talk to someone. I don't think we should hide our emotions as much as simply recognise that we are feeling a certain way and decide whether we need to react or not. It's the knee jerk reacting solely out of emotion that is a problem.
Hope you and D. work out whatever is best for both of y'all. Just know that he isn't going to change because you want him too and you shouldn't change because he wants you too. Change has to come from within. All we can do is accept others for who and how they are and decide what that means to us. Five cents please!
Oh and love the princess dress. 👍🏻
ReplyDeleteDeals like that are hard to come by here. Germans love their cars and the dealers know it. In fact, new German cars cost more here than in other EU countries even though they are built in the same factories. Go figure.
ReplyDeleteI just got a notice this morning that my tax refund is coming through. That will make my travel options easier but given that I have my Spain beach trip coming up in 2 weeks that money is already spoken for. 😂
And we hit 95 yesterday and it wasn't a dry 95 either. 😂