Sunday, October 6, 2024

Here we blow again



 Well, plans have changed thanks to impending hurricane Milton.  I got a call about 3:30 asking me if I would be ready to fly out tomorrow.  It is technically my co-workers 'turn' to go, however, they put me on the power team, which is the response team that goes out in advance of the storm in a safe location but close enough that we can head out to the hard hit areas as soon as the storm is over.  We will be coordinating and looking after the power mission, as the name implies.  Co-worker isn't on the team so I'm not sure he would have been asked anyway.  However, he told me Friday that he can't go because he can't miss his daughters last halloween at home.  That is the stupidest thing I have every heard.  I was prepared to be deployed for Christmas last year. Plus, since we are going out in advance, we could very well be heading back by the weekend.  The last few years he won't go anywhere if he has to fly.  He is a very large guy, maybe large enough hat he would have to buy 2 seats.  The government won't do that and he is too cheap.  My gain, so I'm cool with it.  We had a call at 5:30 and we won't be leaving until Tuesday.  After 2 hours on the phone with the coordination calls and travel agent I am all booked to leave at 6 am Tuesday to be in Pensacola before 11, hopefully before the storm backs everything up.  I am supposed to have a 4 wheel drive rented.  Fingers crossed they don't jack that up.  

That being said the plan for moving Heather back had to change.  My cousin that was going to help won't drive by herself.  I don't understand why, but I guess I am just used to it.  So, Heather is flying to Tulsa, renting the truck and driving to SD to load her stuff and back to Tulsa.  Probably would have been the best plan anyway, less intrusive on everyone.  I hope she finds someone to drive with her.  It wouldn't bother me to drive alone, I would almost prefer it since awkward conversation with someone for 20 + hours isn't on my top ten list.  I would much rather listen to podcasts and playlists.  I kind of like spending time alone.  I cancelled my flight back from SD for credit so I have some money for my next trip and maybe I will get lucky and get some major hotel points and get a cheap broadway trip next year.  

My friend Linda is going to be in town from Dallas tomorrow.  She is the one that had the big issue with her MIL getting robbed blind by the daughter, who went to jail for a short time but is now on probation and is supposed to be paying restitution, but I digress.  The house they were all living in was uninhabitable so they moved MIL into a senior facility in Dallas.  They got a call that the house was vandalized so she is coming in to meet the insurance adjuster.  She hoped they will pay to just level it.  I hope I get enough done to meet her for a quick dinner tomorrow.  I have a ton to do, obviously.  

I got a lot of running around done the last 2 days.  I went and took my mom to lunch.  We went to a new place in Sapulpa, the town she lives in, Il Gusto.  It's Italian and I didn't have high hopes for small town eyetalian IYKYK.  But, I was really surprised!  

Chicken Cremora

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality.  It was made fresh and way better than most chain places.  My mom asked me how I found out about it and I told her that I am on a food review group.  Before I left she had already added herself to it so I can no longer post anything on it.  I had posted asking if anyone knew where you could get a burger like the one I got in NC and my mom saw it and started asking me about it.  So if I post anything and she sees it she will call and ask a thousand questions.  She already let me know that the dish I got look horrible because of all the mushrooms.  I told her that I didn't know I liked vegetables until I was in my 20's because she doesn't like them and what we got was canned.  Hard pass on canned veggies but fresh broiled, grilled, sautéed, I'm all for it.  

Mom didn't want to stay out long.  I had to take a pair of Gap jeans back that I ordered online.  I ordered a 25 thinking it was a 2, but I guess a 26 is a 2.  Sized confuse me sometimes.  If a 30 is a 10, 28 an 8 , you I thought 25 would be a 4, nope, it's a 0.  None of it makes sense.  I did get them taken back and got new ones in my size ordered.  I also went to Madewell and bought a really nice pair of jeans there.  Not sure if I am going to take them to FL, as they were $$$ and I don't want them to get ruined in mud and crap.  I have cheap Old Navy and Gap jeans and some light weight cargos that will
 be plenty 
From there I went to Costco and picked up a few things I needed.  I have a bunch of bootleg broadway shows on my google drive and I need to figure out how to transfer to get them downloaded on the external hard drive I bought.  I will probably play around with it tomorrow.  I am probably going to work from home for the first part of the day and go in and get stuff from our emergency management office that needs to go out.  Surely I can get away with that.  I think I have a pretty nice collection that none of you would be the least bit interested of, but if you think of any, let me know, I might have it.  
As I was dropping stuff off at home Dennis called and said his mom feel and asked me to come help her.  Before I go too far down the road he called back and said she was up and ok.  I have asked how she was going today but I bet she is sore.  

Today I got up and went to Sam's, with I hardly ever to.  They expanded there premade food selections.  I got some grilled chicken breast and some of those pinwheel sandwiches.  I hate that we are flying,  I like to take an ice chest It would be nice to take those pinwheel's with to snack on.  Who knows what the food condition is going to be.  

Well this will be short.  I'm getting laundry so  I can get packing.


3 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip! Couldn't you rent a car and drive to Pepsicola? Then you could take a car fridge or ice chest. Of course my head is skewed when it comes to distances these days so maybe it's farther than I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the trip is going well so far, although I guess this is just the first day. You could get an insulated lunch bag and put some sandwiches in it. I wonder if they would let you bring on an icepack? Maybe if it was a small one. Or you could get ice at a cafe and fill a Ziplock after you get through security.

    I get why your coworker doesn't want to fly. Flying while fat (FWF) can be traumatic. I never had to buy two seats, but when I was at my biggest, I could have been required to because I couldn't always put the armrests all the way down--and I just saw that for Delta, that's the cutoff for having to buy a second seat. Really?🙄 I would always get a window seat so I could lean away from the person next to me, so it doesn't seem like the end of the world if their hip had to slightly touch mine (which didn't actually happen unless they were pretty large too). I did buy my own seatbelt extenders so I wouldn't have to ask a flight attendant for one, although I didn't need them very often, just on certain types of plane. And I bought first class when it didn't cost too much more than coach (which was often the case during the pandemic and in the first few years after it).

    Sorry to rant in your comments; it just reminded me of how horrible all that was--and could be again if/when I regain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are having/had a safe trip. The news looked horrific.
    Sorry your Mom found your food group. ;~{
    I've always had a hard time with jeans at every weight. I quit wearing them for a long time because of it. I can try on a dozen pairs and nothing fits right.

    ReplyDelete