Wednesday, March 13, 2024

weekly check-in

Well I finally caved and bought a car.  It isn't what I would have picked out but it was low mileage and in a price range that I would be able to pay cash for.  We initially went to look at a Nissan Murano but it was too noisy.  I told Dennis there was a Buick Encore with the price and mileage from the list and he talked me into trying it.  I haven't bought a used car in a long time, the last 3 have been brand new, but until interest rates go down I refuse to buy new.  There is nothing wrong with my old car, Kermit, but it is 13 years old with 150K miles and it is starting to show signs of needing all the things that come with an aging car.  I feel like I am officially an old person driving a Buick.  I had a little bit of a meltdown after I bought the car.  For some reason I have an emotional connection to my old car.  Both of our dad's rode in it, all of my dogs/cats rode in it.  I mean it's a lime green SUV, I will never find another car that fits me that perfectly.  I am not getting rid of her though, she is going to live at Dennis's house.  We went this morning and picked up the Buick and I went by and got the tag because the paper tag is going to drive me insane with the flapping.  Dennis is being really weird about it, not wanting me to drive it until the title comes in the mail, there is a paper insurance verification (as opposed to a digital copy) and the tag is on, etc.  He has some really strange ideas that I can only attribute to his dad and how his dad was raised and thus raised him.  When it comes to money and possessions he is very paranoid.  I don't get it but whatever.  I told him I am driving it once we get the tag put on, I am not going to wait for some arbitrary period of time to drive it to work and stuff.  He said "I could drive it to work on Thursday".  Seeing as how I paid for it, thanks?

I am getting a break from my mom this week.  I have no idea what I am going to do with all that time, lol.  I am also taking off on Friday.  I have a stress test that morning and I am just going to take the day because if  I didn't I would have to go to the office.  I don't want to do that.  Maybe I will go get a pedicure and just take in the freedom.  There is a new cruelty free/vegan spa I want to try, I think I will make an appointment for that afternoon.  

Finally did my taxes.  I am always scared of what I will find but it was painless.  State is always  the one that gets me but this year I get $1 back!!  

Last week I got a message from our emergency management office asking if I wanted to go back to Maui.  There is a chance that Brooke could go to and if we could go at the same time we would have so much fun.  I wouldn't be doing the same thing I did before, I would be working in the field which is way more my style.  I am going to meet with EM on Thursday to see what the deal is.  It might interfere with the 2 meeting trips coming up but they will be fine without me.  I didn't plan on having the band removal surgery done until around Memorial Day so it would work out well and the $$ is always nice.  I also heard they are only working 12 hours M-F, 10 on Saturday and 8 on Sunday.  I don't get true time and a half overtime so that is fine with me.  More time to explore.

One of my friends posted the following on social media

I reposted it and my friend Linda sent me a text saying DON'T order that, I already ordered it for you and it will be there 1 April.  It will hold a special place on my desk next to RBG and Hillary Clinton.  I might have to repaint the boots black though, a USACE Ranger can't wear brown boots.  Oddly enough we do have uniform shorts though they are seldom used.  I wore them when I did beach water samples because I had to wade out into the swim beaches but that was pretty much it.  I can't wait though, how cute is she?!?!  

I feel asleep on the couch last night and woke up to Baby Daddy - the only one of the three cats that showed up last summer that we weren't able to rehome, and another cat in what sounded like a vicious fight.  I got up and opened the door and yelled at the other cat to get the fuck out of there.  I saw a lot of fur by the driver's side door of my car.  I will call Dennis a little later and have him check on him.  We built a little shelter for him and he was asleep in that when I left for work.  I hate having an outside animal but Ninja is not going to accept another cat in the house.  He hisses and growls if we come in smelling like BD.  It would be amazing if we could find him a good home but that isn't an easy thing to find and we kind of exhausted our supply of cat friends last year.  Dennis has become really attached to him, I refuse to become attached to an outside animal, it is just too risky.

Trying to take a picture of my shoes but BD was having none of it



This is what happens when I get attached to a cat, lol

Jay made a comment in his blog about the movie Poor Things.  I tried to watch it over the weekend and man I hated it.  I got the same ick as when I tried to watch the documentary about Brooke Shields.  The one redeeming part was the punching the baby line.  I actually had to rewind and watch it again because I snort laughed.  I have felt that so many times.  I didn't watch the Oscars, I'm not a fan of awards shows, but I am salty that Lily Rhineheart was robbed.  Killers of the Flower Moon deserved better!!

Alright, time to get to work.  It should be a pretty easy office week as AP is tdy and I am off on Friday, a three day weekend of freedom, minus the stress test part.




4 comments:

  1. It was a weird film. I went in not really knowing much about it other than it was some kind of Frankenstein-like story. The first 20 minutes almost had me walking out of the theatre. Eventually I kind of got in the groove as much as I could. Steampunk isn't my thing at all but the "punch the baby" line was pretty good. It's become my catch phrase when I'm feeling grumpy AF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, not sure why Emma Stone won an Oscar for that film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new car! My friend Shaune told me her Buick Encore was her favorite car. She only gave it up because she needed a truck.

    I love the park ranger Barbie! Also love the Fluevogs and cat photos.

    Thanks for your comment. Things are going to be tough for a while. But I'm back in CO now, so at least I can handle things locally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the car. I remember several years ago when they were trying to attract a younger crowd with commercials touting "it's not your father's Buick" and "its not your grandpa's Buick".

    The park ranger is adorable!

    Those shoes are SO YOU.

    ReplyDelete