I have been trying really hard to work my ass off for a very long time. In October my long time personal trainer changed gyms, forcing me to switch trainers after 2 year. I hadn't ever had a male trainer before but I thought the change might be good. I liked him alright but I wasn't seeing any weight loss. I told the new trainer that I was going to have WLS at the end of May and he literally had a fit in the lobby of the gym. I was very hurt and stopped going to the gym. I still walked/ran with my sister and friends but I hadn't been to the gym since that day. He really hurt my feelings, bad enough that I defriended him on Facebook, lol. A few weeks later he sent me a text asking me if I was really serious about the surgery and asking if I would still train with him afterwards. I answered most of his questions but never really said if I was going to train with him anymore. I have 12 pretty expensive sessions left and I was willing to just write him off after he made me feel like a failure.
Ever since the horrible encounter I have been kind of
avoiding the gym. Just didn't want to have to see him and defend my
choices again. Well yesterday I felt really good, no residual pain left
from the surgery and I was ready to start moving. Unfortunately it is
107 degrees outside and I don't think I would last very long in that
heat. So I decided to heck with hot trainer, I am going to the gym.
I saw the normal receptionist and she was kind of acting strange but
made the comment that she was really glad I was back. She was there
when the trainer started going off on me about how disappointed he was in me for
having the lap band surgery so she knows everything.
Hit the treadmill, did 30 minutes at my normal warm up pace since I am
not even two weeks out from surgery, but it was enough to break a
sweat...did I mention it is 107 outside? On the way to the locker room
to get my stuff I run into trainer in the lobby.
I really wasn't sure how this was going to turn out at all. He freaked
out because he didn't know I was coming. I told him I wasn't aware
that I had to call ahead and let him know. He asked me when my surgery
was and I gave him the details. His jaw literally hit the floor when he
realized I was back at the gym less then two weeks out. He said that
he wrote me off and thought since I was going the WLS route that I would
just not go to the gym anymore. I told him that he obviously doesn't
know me very well and should have talked to me about that instead of
attacking me with grande negativity.
The high point of the entire conversation, he asked me how much weight I
had lost. I told him about 12 pounds so far. He freaked out and said
that I look so much different already and that my face is thinner then
he has ever seen it. He also said that I look 10 years younger.
I haven't decided if I will train with him or not, like I said I do have 12 sessions but I have no doubts if I do use him I will not purchase anymore.


It really really makes me angry that people feel they can talk to other people in any kind of way like this. Especially as a professional who is hired by the gym to help people reach their fitness goals. If you have the 12 sessions, maybe see if you can get a different trainer, unless this guy is the only one they have that works in your time slot. Perhaps explain that you had a bad experience with this trainer and you'd like either another one or a refund of the remaining sessions because you don't feel you can work with this guy anymore. Just a thought.
ReplyDeleteIt drives me batty when people (who don't have a clue how hard us bandsters work) look down on WLS. Seriously, walk a mile in our shoes. It's not all rainbows and roses. We work hard for every ounce we lose!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Cat -- Can you transfer your sessions to another trainer? That was so incredibly rude and unprofessional of him to treat you like that! I wouldn't want to reward him for his crappy behavior!
ReplyDeleteYou'll show him! :)
ReplyDeleteThat's awful! I can't believe he went off on you like that! At least you're proving him wrong!
ReplyDelete