Tuesday, April 2, 2024

All the shows

 Two weeks into SHARP training and I am ready for it to be over.  The training itself isn’t bad but the other people I have to travel/instruct with are freaking weird.  The male advocate that I work with is the type to overly mansplain things.  He is really bad about saying borderline sexist things and then talking about negative gender stereotypes.  I finally had enough and told him to stop using gender comparisons and use personality-based examples.  For instance, there is a part we go into about hear/help/hug/handle, and he always says that men want to help or handle and women just want to vent.  I was like naw my dude, you gotta stop that.  We work in a science and engineering based industry, most of us want to fix it.  I got an email from him this morning saying he is going to volunteer to be a peer counselor and wanted me to write a letter of recommendation for him.  Everyone I talk to just think he is very odd and wouldn’t voluntarily share personal information with him.  Come to think of it, I don’t know anyone who would talk to a peer counselor period.  I forgot such a thing existed until I went to Maui, and they had them in rotation.  Glad they did because I made a good friend with one of them.  I would never be able to do it because I would have to tell BFF Brooke everything and that is probably an issue. 

 

We had 2 full day classes last week and I was worn out from it.  They were less than 2 hours away, so I drove there and back, the other 2 stayed in a town 45 minutes from here.  I am really surprised they approved the travel.  There are 2 more classes next week, but I am not going as I have a doctor appointment on Monday and I don’t want to reschedule (and also don’t want to be in a car with them any more than I have to).  More to come on the weird dude later…

 

Last week was To Kill a Mockingbird and I was really looking forward to it.  We switched our tickets to Friday night since I forgot the show was Sunday and had invited the moms to brunch.  HMF sent me a text early Friday afternoon saying she was sick and didn’t think she would be able to make it.  I told her that was no problem, I would go by myself if I couldn’t find anyone to go with because I was really looking forward to this one.  I asked Dennis if he wanted to go and he enthusiastically said yes.  I don’t think he had much of an idea of what it was about but he wiki’ed it and said he was kind of excited about it.  We went to dinner before the show, but our normal place was packed as it was Friday night, so we went to a by the slice pizza place in the same building.  It was good, as always, we had pizza and gelato and sat and talked for a while.  Mostly me complaining about SG (sharp guy) and how he just wears me out.  We walk across the street to the theater and since we had to trade days we weren’t in our usual seats.  We get there sit down, start looking at the playbill and who should sit 2 rows in front of us????  SG.  FML Of course I had to introduce them because he was right there, and he stood right there in the way talking until the lights flickered.  Dude can’t take a hint.  Regardless of that the show was very good.  It was 3 hours long but didn’t feel like it at all.  The adaptation was a little more intense than I remember the book being, but I haven’t read it in a very long time either.  Lots of use of the big n work racial slur which made me very uncomfortable, which is probably the point.  I cuss like a sailor, but I don’t think I could say that word outload and not feel shame even if it is in a script.  Then again, I’m not an actor so it isn’t an issue.  Richard Thomas played the role as Atticus, and he did an outstanding job.  That is the last regular season show for me, Tina, the Tina Turner Musical is next, and I went into this season noping out of that one.  Not a Tina Turner fan at all.  Still on the fence about next season.  I am sure we will talk about it tonight.  We might just do individual tickets because there are 2 no goes for me.  I may have to borrow Jay’s calculator to see what the best option is but Les Mis and MJ are a no for me even if I can suck it up for the shows that got bad reviews.


view from our seats


 

Tonight, I am going to see Chicago with HMF.  Not sure if I shared the story on that one but both my sister and HMF got me tickets for Christmas on 2 separate nights and me being me I didn’t want to say anything to either one of them.  So, guess who is seeing Chicago on back to back nights.  I hope I like it.  Not sure if we are going to dinner or not.  HMF has to pick up A from hockey so she will be a little late getting around.  If all else fails we can opt for the pizza options again!  Tomorrow night we have reservations at 6 but I am not going into the office, so it won’t be as frantic. 

 

Saturday was my me day.  My mom wasn’t happy at all but she got over it.  I got so much done.  Sunday night me and my sister are going to see Jimbo, the drag race winner from last season so I wanted to get something gag worthy to wear.  I ended up finding a blue sequin wrap dress at a boutique for $25!!  Score!!  My sister wants to meet up and eat with her husband and Dennis before the show even though they aren’t going. 
She ended up buying VIP tickets so we get to do a little photo meet and greet for what it’s worth.  I need to figure out what shoes I’m going to wear… 

 

I am going to be showed out after this week.

 

Easter Sunday, we met the moms and my little sister for brunch.  We had been to this place before for Thanksgiving but it was so much better this time.  I think maybe because there are expectations around Thanksgiving meals that are unique to the family environment.  Easter was kind of a sandwich kind of meal for us.  As a matter of fact we had never did the easter bunny thing and I got in trouble for saying something to a cousin when she said something about it.  My granny always handmade very elaborate dresses for us and we got more than our share of candy and egg hunting so it wasn’t like we were missing out on anything.  We also had a black lab that would find the real eggs before us and make himself sick eating them.  Man, the memories.  But I digress.  I had stopped at a new cookie place, Crave, by the boutique and let everyone pick out a cookie.  I may have snacked on one because they serve them warm.  Think Crumbl but better.  I think everyone enjoyed it.  My mom didn’t complain so that is high honors.  We were supposed to go bowling that night for my cousin’s birthday, her and my sister have been best friends since the day she was born just about so we are all pretty close.  She is supposed to get married in June and Laura doesn’t like her fiancé at all, neither does my mom.  I met her but only briefly and she made a comment about how she would never have a rescue dog so that’s an automatic black mark from me.  Anyway, I was going to meet up with them at the bowling alley for a birthday party but as I was getting dressed Laura sent me a text and said that the party was cancelled because they thought fiancé was having a stroke.  Laura said she thought maybe she was just playing it up because she wouldn’t be the center of attention but turn out she passed out while they were at home, so she ended up in the ER.  I haven’t heard back what the diagnosis was.  Dennis asked Laura at brunch if there were going to be a lot of giggling girls there and she said nope, it’s a big ole lesbian party so probably no giggling and lots of drinking.  Regardless I hope she is ok.

 



At one of the SHARP meetings a guy I used to work with pulled out this picture and asked me if I remembered it.  We have so many people picking up fawns and bringing them in thinking they were abandoned. We did our best to educate them but by then it was too late.

2 comments:

  1. I think SG is half right, sort of. Painting broad brush men tend to want to jump to solving (help or handle), which can be good or bad depending on the sitch. Women tend to be better at the hug and hear, which is generally a good thing but is also where relationship friction comes from. Women like to be heard whereas men are all "the solution to that is ..." YMMV.

    Being older I don't cringe over the big N-word. I don't use it but when I grew up blacks were "negroes" and "coloured", at least in my first 10 years or so. I think I remember using "the coloured kids" to refer to the black kids in my neighbourhood back in the 60s. My aunt (may she RIP) always referred to Brazil nuts by their less genteel name but she was incorrigible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G and I found a fawn on a backpacking trip once (years ago). We almost stumbled over it nestled down in the grass at the edge of a meadow. Fortunately, we knew to leave it alone and move away from it so the mom could come back when she wanted to.

    I hope you liked Chicago. I didn't see it until years after it first came out, but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete