JHC do I need a week of straight sleep to recuperate from the trip. I am still trying to process it all.
Our flight left on Thursday. It was a sold out flight and everyone was seated on time so we got a little bit of an early start. We ended up at the luggage carousel 30 minutes before our flight was scheduled to land. My suitcase was one of the first to come out. My sister B and BIL S got their bags pretty quick and we headed to the taxi area. The hotel is less than 10 miles from the airport but it took well over 45 minutes to get there. It wasn't even noon yet, luckily they had a room ready for me. I was really surprised with how big the room was. I expected to get a tiny room but it was a normal size room, probably bigger than some apartments there. I was told before we left that S has a thing where he has to go to every Hard Rock I suggested we get it out of the way, it was about half a block from the hotel and I was getting hungry. So we ate at the bar, split 2 appetizers and they each got a drink. My sister made a comment at the airport that S had asked her if I was on drugs because I had lost so much weight and I needed to try and eat or he was going to force me into rehab. Looking back on it, that was fucking hilarious but I'll get into that later. I told her that I don't really drink anymore and that I can either eat or drink but that the obstructed stomach thing makes it hard for me to eat and drink at the same time. Anyway, while we were sitting there we talked about what we were going to do that night. They decided we needed to go to the Empire State Building. I had told them that I was terrified of heights and wasn't looking to do tall buildings but I agreed to do it as long as we could go at night because it isn't as bad for me. For whatever reason their phones wouldn't connect so I bought the tickets at freaking $79 each plus whatever fees you are forced to pay. So it was $300 for something that I really didn't want to do and we would be done within an hour max. While we were sitting there S said he had taken 2 gummies on the plane and he thought they were a lot stronger than what he thought he had taken. It was fine, he was funny and laid back so no big deal. He offered me a portion of one to get me through the ESB visit but I had my Valium.
After lunch we walked to the Hudson. Saw the Titan but didn't go on because it was almost 3 and it closed at 5. We hung out there for awhile and started to head back to the hotel. A few blocks from the river S decided we need to go into a bar. OK, they needed to be back to check in at 4 so we didn't have a lot of time to do anything. I actually got a drink or two. They had something called strawberry baroness made with vodka, peach liqueur, some kind of citrus and muddled strawberries. It was yummy!! We got to talking to the bartender and turns out he is from the Tulsa metro. His dad graduated high school at the same high school S went to and was like a year older. He hooked us up and by the time we got back to the hotel I was feeling pretty happy. We go to my room to get their bags and in his gummy haze S somehow lost track of his suitcase. Turns out someone turned it into security instead of getting the NYPD bomb squad out to get it. I was an anxious wreck between that and the apprehension of going to the 106th floor of a building. There was a Target across the street and my allergies were flaring so I made the comment that I was going to get some pataday for my eyes as I had ran out that morning. B wouldn't let me go by myself, which kind of infuriated me. By the time we got the Target run out of the way and unpacked it was time to meet up for ESB. We decided we were going to walk around a little and get street food for dinner.
It was really tasty.
I thought it was so neat how you could see Times Square glowing like the Las Vegas strip
I stayed about 3 feet from any of the windows.
After that we headed back to the hotel. There is an Applebee's right off the hotel so they wanted to go in and have a drink. I ended up sitting at the bar with a couple of empty stools next to me. There was a pair of people, I hesitate to say couple as I think they were siblings, anyway they sat right next to me and proceeded to get cut off by the manager and still tried to order drinks from the bartender. I really didn't want to be around that because I didn't want them falling on me and I sure as hell was over hearing the dude tell the bartender how beautiful she was and making her super uncomfortable. We were all really tired so we were back in the room by 10:30. I got showered and into bed but it took me awhile to wind down. I did think to bring a fan because I thought it might be loud but other than sirens it wasn't bad.
Friday we had tickets to the natural history museum. We had plans to meet up at 9:30 to get a cab to the museum. I ran into the little shop and picked up a muffin and orange juice, have to take advantage of my $18 daily credit. It was a pretty good grab and go pastry. By the time I got back out to the lobby B & S were at the bar, S with a bloody mary and B with a mimosa. Cool, whatever, it's vacation. When I went to DC the dinosaurs exhibit was closed so I missed out on that. So I spent a lot of time at the dino area.
The pedicab driver was Irish so S decided we need to go to an Irish pub. We split an appetizer and more drinks were had by the dynamic duo even though the undercurrent of snipping was very evident. I know he had at least 2 more doubles. They said when they were in Ireland they had a thing that they stopped at every 3rd Irish pub. I thought that was funny...at first. It wasn't a joke. We stopped at every fucking third pub. The things we could have done instead blows my mind. It was supposed to get really cold and rainy the next day and I left my coat in my car so I planned on stopping at a store in times square to get a jacket. Unbeknownst to us there was a huge Palestinian/Israel protest and they closed all the stores. That was disappointing, but the weather was still nice so it wasn't a huge deal. I did stop at a souvenir shop and picked up a poncho and a sweatshirt for the next day. I tried so hard to get my sister to go back to her room but she wouldn't let me go out alone, super annoying. Did we stumble right in the middle of the protest? Maybe, but it was peaceful. I even pulled out my mask because it was crowded and there was a lot of screaming.
We didn't stick around long, it didn't feel like we should be there as tourists as most people there have a serious cause they are fighting for and I don't feel informed enough to have a viewpoint. We headed back to get ready. It felt very voyeuristic
It was magnificent. They guy that developed Schitt's Creek developed the show and it was so funny. It is supposed to tour starting next year and I would go see it if it comes close. Very much worth it. We went right back to the hotel after the show to make sure S made it back. He was sound asleep.
The show was great but by the time we left my sister was trashed. S was more or less guiding her through the street to keep her upright. She decided we needed to stop and get another drink. S and I decided we should probably get some real food in her stomach besides wine. I reminded her of the people that got cut off at the applebee's the first night but she decided to risk it. We got a table instead of going to the bar, which I am not sure she could have pulled off. She was still being really snippy and horrible to S and calling him an idiot. I was just 100% over it. She got on some tangent about how everyone forgot about the OKC bombing and that it was all bullshit that it got overshadowed. I was like, first of all, shut the fuck up saying shit like that in a public place, second not a competition. I was more or less mortified. She would go from saying we live in a shit hole town to 3 seconds later defending it because "it's trying" I was dizzy. It got to the point that B drunkenly knocked her wine glass off the table and shattered it. The staff were over very quickly to clean it up but B was saying that she threw the glass off the table because she was mad at S. It was well passed time to go home at that point.




























Do they still have functioning livers? Man, that was a lotta boozin'. Glad you had a reasonably fun trip. I like NYC a lot. When we were there last year G. wanted to visit a Whole Paycheck supermarket. I have no idea why but it scratched that itch for her so ... yeah.
ReplyDeleteI would have hated being with the drunk people SO. MUCH. That I probably would have just ditched them. I'm glad you were able to see/do so much regardless, and it sounds like it was a great time overall!
ReplyDelete