Sitting in the ER with my mom. She was really dizzy and said she almost fell a few times, so I took her just to be safe. I thought I was going to have to throw hands with the nurse. They were trying to place the IV and my mom has tiny veins. As they were digging she said ouch and the nurse said “that isn’t helping us”. She did it twice so I told them to get someone else because them telling her she isn’t helping is making it works. They said well you tense up when you do that. Like she isn’t tensing up anyway. I don’t think the nurse particularly cared for that but god damn.
I was supposed to get my hair done but I guess that isn’t happening. Now I can’t get in until May 10. I will have to go in and have the extensions either taken out or moved up. I was really looking forward to hair love.
Last night I went to the ballet with my sister. Tchaikovsky, the man behind the music. It was really good. I didn’t know anything about his life but apparently he was gay and in love with a violinist but couldn’t act on it. Some ballets are just so abstract that you don’t know what the point is behind the movements but this story was done so beautifully and purposefully.
Monday through Wednesday afternoon was our annual ranger workshop. It was my first time to have to coordinate it and I think it went well. They put us in a lodge in a state park about 30 minutes from the closest place to eat. I had the ‘brilliant’ idea of buying stuff for a cookout and making the bosses grill. I will never do that again. We had close to 95 people and I charged them $6 each to reimburse me for the food I bought. I was a nervous wreck trying to coordinate the workshop and the food. It was cold and rainy so that didn’t help, but they found a dry spot to cook and we had plenty of room to set up and eat. After hours they set up some corn hole boards and had a tournament. As much as I hated being so remote, we had no choice but to socialize or sit in your room for the most part. I found out pretty fast that I can no longer hang with the 25 year olds. They got pretty tanked Monday and Tuesday. I made it until midnight before I had to retire to my room. The beds were horrible and the blankets were so thin I really wanted to just go home. But, it was good to hangout with the rangers and get to know them better. I remember the days when I would have been right in the middle of it. I had one vodka and sprite and decided I am too old for that. We also had pepper spray training where they sprayed some of the new rangers to be able to carry it. Part of that is them getting sprayed. It was kinda brutal to watch. I thought they were going to have to get EMS for one but she ended up recovering, but it took her awhile.
OK, the doctor is here so I guess I better pay attention.


I hope your mom is OK!
ReplyDeleteIt seems a little risky to actually expose people to pepper spray as a training exercise. Aren't there sometimes long-term effects? Or idiosyncratic effects where someone might, you know, DIE? It reminds me of a local football coach making players do a workout in deep water when some of them couldn't swim, and three guys had to be rescued and almost drowned.
Hope your mom did okay.
ReplyDeleteWhen I hear the name Tchaikovsky I think of a Monty Python skit where they ask the question "Tchaikovsky, tortured genius or just a bloody old poof?" I can't help it but it makes me laugh.
Obviously corn hole must mean something different in OK these days than it did when I was with the cellar savers in PA. Getting "corn holed" was something to be avoided at all costs. Hahahaha